Canada Study and Work Visa Requirements

In order to apply for our College Co-op Diplomas or Study and Work Programs, you’ll need a study and work visa. Check the Canada study and work visa requirements below to see if you’re eligible and let’s start planning!

Can I Work and Study in Canada?

To participate in our College Co-op Diplomas or Study and Work Program in Canada, you are required to obtain a Canada study and work visa, otherwise known as the Study and Co-op work permit. The Government of Canada provides these permits to citizens of several countries if you meet certain requirements.

Canada Work and Study Visa Requirements

In order to apply for Study and Co-op work permit for Canada, you will need to be able to provide the following:

  • Hold a valid passport
  • Be at least 19 years old
  • Completed at least high school education
  • English Proficiency – corresponding to IELTS 5.0, TOEIC 780
  • Proof that you have been accepted to study at a DLI in Canada
  • Proof that you are able to financially support yourself while in Canada and pay for the tuition fees. Please check the IRCC website to check details about this requirement
  • Letter of explanation or motivation letter with your goals for completing this program

Let’s Get Started!

Apply at any time of the year, however the earlier you start planning, the better.

Get in touch to start planning your study and work program in Canada.


How Do I Apply for the Study and Work Visa for Canada?

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows you to study and work in Canada.

You can apply for the Canada Study and Co-op work permit on your own or with the support of a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC). An authorized immigration and citizenship representative will advise you and submit your visa application on your behalf. Learn more about RCIC Consultants here. You must apply for your initial study and co-op work permit from outside of Canada, and it must be approved before you travel to Canada.

How Much Does the Canada Work and Study Visa Cost?

Please find a breakdown of the work and study visa costs as follows:

  • Study Permit fee: CAD $150
  • Biometrics fee: CAD $85

Will the Study Permit Allow Me To Work in Canada?

Yes, if you participate in our Co-op programs. You can work up to 20 hours during your study program and full-time during scheduled breaks. You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program.

As our programs include a mandatory co-op, you will be allowed to work more than 20 hours during your co-op period, as the work experience will be mandatory to graduate.

If I Can Work, Why Do I Need Financial Funds To Apply for a Study and Work Permit in Canada?

Financial funds are mandatory to be eligible for a study and work permit in Canada. Being able to work while studying will make no difference. When you apply for a study and work permit, you must demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support yourself throughout your studies and time in Canada. You can learn more about this requirement on the IRCC website.

Can I Do a Co-op Program if I Only Have a Study Permit in Canada?

If you are enrolled in a study program like ours, you will need a Co-op work permit as the work experience is required as an integral part of your studies. If you don’t receive it upon arrival to Canada, you should apply while you are in Canada during your studies component, so that you have it ready for your Co-op period.

Your Co-op work permit is different to the off-campus work right that you will have through your study permit.

Can I Just Study English and Work in Canada?

No, in Canada you are not allowed to study English and work, even if you are planning to apply for a study permit and stay more than six months in Canada. You must complete post-secondary studies to be allowed to work in Canada.

How Long Should I Study To Be Able To Work in Canada?

You should study for at least 6 months or more at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to be allowed to apply for a study permit that will allow you to work in Canada during your education program. Through our programs, as the co-op is mandatory to graduate, you will receive a co-op work permit as well.

How Do I Know When I Can Travel to Canada?

After your study permit has been approved, you will automatically be issued one of these documents to travel to Canada:

  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for countries requiring a visa (you will need to submit your passport in your home country to get your visa stamped before you fly to Canada ), or
  • Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) – for countries not requiring a visa

When Will I Receive My Study and Work Permit for Canada?

When you land in Canada. If you are from a country requiring a visa, your passport will be requested to stamp your visa in it before you leave for Canada. Upon arrival to Canada you will present:

  • Present your Letter of Introduction or Port of Entry to the Canada Border Services Officer
  • Updated Letter of Acceptance from the College
  • Documents presented to receive your study and work permit approval

Note: Before leaving the immigration area, you must ensure the information on your study permit is correct. We will help you with this!

What Are the Processing Times To Secure a Study and Work Permit for Canada?

Processing times for study permits vary by country. Remember that you need to include the time you will require to prepare your application, plus the processing times from Canada. For a complete list of processing times based on your country, please visit this page.

Please Note

Please note that the FAQ is only based on general information. All visa requirements for your specific case are set by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please always refer to the Official IRCC website or consult through an approved Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC)