Recognized Organization – International Experience Canada FAQs 2019

Learn more about how Stepwest can help under our Recognized Organization status during International Experience Canada. All of the information below will answer all of your questions. If you still have some doubts, please share your questions about IEC 2019 below. We will be happy to answer all of your questions!

After going through a rigorous application and screening process based on the quality of our work experience programs in Canada, we are happy to announce that Stepwest has received its status as a Recognized Organization (commonly known as RO) once more under IEC (International Experience Canada) by Citizenship and Immigration Canada!

NOTE ON IEC 2020: We have a very limited number of spots for this program during the IEC 2020 season. We will not be able to assist every interested applicant. We are currently NOT accepting applicants for IEC 2020 under RO status. Please check back at a later date for further updates.

As an RO we are able to provide our work permits to participants from any of the International Experience Canada (IEC) countries that have an active Youth Mobility Agreement with Canada.

With this new designation, we are now able to offer our work permits for Canada to participants who either already used up their work permit categories under the regular IEC agreement with their country of citizenship (i.e. Working Holiday, Young Professional or International Co-Op) and would like to participate again, or to someone who has passed the age limit for their country of citizenship (based on the IEC agreement) and would still like to apply for an International Experience Canada work permit. Also, if you are someone who simply would like to shortcut the waiting time to get an invitation to apply (ITA) for an IEC work permit, we can also help you secure your invitation this 2019!

Excited? You should be! Keep reading to see the benefits of applying to International Experience Canada (IEC) 2019 under RO status with Stepwest.

What are the advantages of participating with Stepwest as a Recognized Organization during IEC 2019?

1) Repeat participation

You can have a repeat participation under the same work permit category that you have already used. This means that if you came to Canada with a Working Holiday and would like to secure a second Working Holiday for Canada, you can do it with us!

Under Recognized Organization status, a citizen of an IEC country can participate up to two times in the IEC program under Recognized Organization status. Please check the details on the CIC website here.

2) Secure your Invitation to Apply (ITA)

No need to wait for luck! Under RO status, you will be able to secure your Invitation as we have our own quota under International Experience Canada 2019. Do you want to secure your work permit to come to Canada this 2019? RO is your way to go if you come from a country of citizenship where the demand is way higher than the number of work permits available.

3) Age limit requirement for IEC work permits

Some countries like United Kingdom or Japan have an age limit of 30 years old. However, coming through RO status, you can participate if you are up to 35 years old (included). You can confirm the details here on CIC website.

“Those applying through a recognized organization must meet the age requirement set out between the organization and IEC. If the foreign national applying to IEC through a recognized organization is from a country or territory that holds a bilateral agreement or arrangement with Canada, the age requirement will be that which is stipulated in the Memorandum of Understanding with the recognized organization.”

4) Skip the discontinuance required for some IEC countries

An IEC participant that accesses the work permit application under RO status would not be affected by the discontinuance requirement (if this applies to your country of citizenship).

For example a Spanish citizen can participate right away under RO Status to secure a second Working Holiday permit or Young Professional under RO Status and will not have to wait 3 months after the expiration of their current IEC work permit for Canada.

Recognized Organization - International Experience Canada

I have previously participated twice under regular International Experience Canada (Working Holiday and Young Professional). Can I participate again under RO Status?

YES. If you have used up all your work permit participations under your country’s regular agreement with International Experience Canada, we can help you secure a new IEC work permit. In addition, a participant can be nominated twice per lifetime by ROs (across all ROs past, current and future).

For example, a German citizen that has already participated twice under regular IEC (Working Holiday and Young Professional categories) could still apply through RO two additional times under Working Holiday or Young Professional under RO status.

Do I still need to get insurance if I come to Canada on a Recognized Organization IEC work permit?

Yes! The same applies as if you were coming to Canada on a regular IEC work permit. You must get an insurance policy that covers the entire duration of your work permit. You will be issued an IEC work permit that will expire at the same time as your insurance. If you are given a work permit that is shorter than the length of time you might stay in Canada, you will not be able to apply to change the conditions of your work permit at a later date. As a Recognized Organization, Stepwest will not be responsible for this error. We cannot emphasize enough the importance of your insurance duration when travelling under an International Experience Canada. You can read more about this here.

For my country of citizenship IEC requires a 3-Month discontinuity between IEC participations, would this apply when participating under RO?

NO, it does not apply if you apply under RO status for an IEC work permit.

I.e. Slovakian citizens must wait 3 months from the expiration of their work permit to apply for second participation under IEC (for example, if the participant wants to pass from Working Holiday to Young Professional), whereas if the participant applies under RO status the requirement is voided

I am already in Canada with a Working Holiday and I have my own offer of employment, can I still apply to IEC under RO status to secure a new work permit?

Yes, you can. If your job offer is related to your previous work experience, we could help you apply under the Young Professional category, as long as the job position matches (NOC) Code Skill Type Level 0, A or B. If the job offer is not related to your studies, previous experience or does not match with the proper NOC, you could still apply to the category Working Holiday.

Please keep in mind that the Working Holiday category will be the fastest to fill up, so if you know this category is your only option, apply as soon as possible before our quota runs out!

I am already in Canada with a valid IEC work permit but I do not have a job offer, can Stepwest help me get a second Working holiday Permit under RO status?

Yes! If you have not used up the 2 times participation under RO already, Stepwest can help you secure a brand new second Working Holiday permit in Canada, you do not need to have a job offer for this.

All our programs include a job placement guaranteed and our job positions are Hospitality or Gastronomy related. If you are looking for a job position in any other field, we will not be able to help secure a job, but you can still secure an open work permit (Working Holiday) through us!

I am currently back in my home country but I have used up all the possible participants under IEC, could I come back to Canada with a RO IEC work permit?

Yes! Even though you already used up all the possible participations under the regular IEC agreement with Canada and your country, Stepwest as Recognized Organization can help you secure a new IEC work permit.

I.e: You are an UK citizen that came to Canada already for 2 years under Working Holiday and returned back to UK since your working holiday permit was about to expire. In this case, as a Recognized Organization we will be able to help you apply for a second working holiday permit for Canada as a UK citizen.

My country is not listed as an International Experience Canada country, can Stepwest help me as a Recognized Organization?

Not for now. Due to the changes under International Experience Canada and its goal to focus on countries with bilateral agreements with Canada, the Government has focused only on IEC countries, as for IEC 2019 season.

If your country of citizenship is not listed under IEC, you can still come to Canada under our Study and Work programs, which would allow you to study and work during your whole stay! Check out more information about our College Co-op programs here and do not hesitate to contact us for more information!

How can I start my IEC work permit application process under RO status with Stepwest?


We have a very limited number of spots for this program during IEC 2020 season, that’s why we will not be able to assist every interested applicant.

We are currently NOT accepting applicants for IEC 2020 under RO status. Please check back at a later date fro further updates.

Disclaimer: No Legal Advice Provided.

The material on our website and on this webpage is intended to provide only general information to our clients. Although we make our best efforts to ensure that the information found on our website is accurate and timely, do not, under any circumstances, rely on information found on our website as legal or immigration advice. We can not answer client-specific immigration-related questions or provide any immigration advice. For assistance with your specific inquiry, please contact IEC directly through the IRCC website or contact a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC).